HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHS
History | Wenonah Ticket House | Wenonah
Wenonah Memorial Presbyterian Church | Photographs
NOTE: All of the photographs on THIS page are the property of Janice
Brown. You are not authorized to use the photographs FOR ANY REASON
without her express WRITTEN permission. Please contact her at the webmasters
link or from the "Contact" page before use. These photographs
are protected by U.S. Copyright law.
Prior to Wenonah separating as a borough, it was formerly a part of
the township of Deptford. For early history see that of Deptford
HISTORY OF WENONAH
*NOTE: For the early history of this township, see DEPTFORD in the "Municipalities"
section of this web site.
According to the former Roy Duffield Realty Web site:
"In 1872, a hotel and four cottages were erected in a scenic area
near the Mantua Creek only a few miles south of Woodbury, and the village
of Wenonah, named for the mother of Hiawatha in Longfellows poem,
was born. A year later, in 1873, it was incorporated, and in 1896, it
officially became a borough.
Exerpts from "Under Four Flags," Old Gloucester County
by Hazel B. Simpson, Editor, Woodbury, N.J., Board of Chosen Freeholders,
Gloucester County, N.J.; 1965 Page
35 -- WENONAH
name, "Wenonah," is of Native American origin, and signifies
"West Wind" . In 1965 it had a population of 2100 people. [NOTE:
my thanks to Pamela Cappello for the following information: "The
Song of Hiawatha, the 1855 epic poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Wenonah
is detailed as Hiawatha's mother, and daughter to Nokomis. Mudjekeewis,
the West Wind, is Hiawatha's father. Further details describe Wenonah
as the Lily of the Prairie. Hence, from the original complete text of
the poem, it is safe to say that Wenonah does not mean West Wind, but
was actually called 'The Lily of the Prairie'. Rather beautiful
and befitting a charming borough!" ]
The town of Wenonah
was surveyed during the spring of 1871 by the Mantua Land Improvement
Company and it was officially incorporated as a borough in April 1883,
although it was not officially separated from Deptford Township until
1894. In 1928 additional land was acquired from Deptford Township to
increase the area of the township to 1.66 square miles.
In 1902 the Wenonah
Military Academy was opened (it was a private military school). In 1873
the Presbyterian Church was started there, followed by the Methodist
Church. The Wenonah Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1888,
and borough-controlled water services began in 1912. (The sewer system
became property of Wenonah in 1949, and was extended and modernized
Warner Lake, under
the direction of the Wenonah Playground Assocation, was the former mill
pond of the old mill where grist and flour were once ground.
The Stone House
Inn, 100 S. West Avenue in Wenonah, was on the Old Bark Bridge Road
and was built in 1773 by Samuel Moffett and was reportedly used during
the American Revolution was a meeting place for patriots. Near here
there was a skirmish at the old Bark Bridge between Tories and Patriots.
This building was also known as the Ballinger House.
2000): 2,317, Est. population in July 2002: 2,301
For more information
Wenonah Historical Society
300 East Mantua Ave.
Wenonah, NJ 08090
WENONAH TICKET HOUSE
(now "The Wild Iris") on 8 N. West Avenue in Wenonah, NJ.
(see photograph below)
This old ticket station was originally located near the fire house on
West Avenue (below Mantua Avenue) and moved to its current location where
is it a floral shop
Information about "The Wild Iris" - The finest in Floral
and Gift Items for All Occasions
Location: 8 N. West Avenue, Wenonah NJ 08090
Telephone: *856) 468-6060
Owners; Terry and Tom DeGeorge
The sign (see photograph below) at the entrance to Wenonah Park states:
ERECTED ~ DEC. 1912
BY THE CITIZENS,
OF THE GIFT OF THIS
PARK TO THE BOROUGH
OF WENONAH ~ 1883
~ BY THE DIRECTORS OF~
THE MANTUA LAND & IMPROVEMENT CO.
ISAAC C. STEVENSON -- HORATIO J. MULFORD
THOMAS W. SYNNOTT -- BENJAMIN C. REEVE
GEORGE W. BAILEY -- WILLIAM F. ALLEN
STEPHEN GREENE -- WILLIAM J. SEWELL
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - circa 1873
their web site
: annals of Eyren Haven and Atlantic City, 1609 to 1904: being an account
of the settlement of Eyren Haven or Egg Harbor, by Alfred M. Heston;
Camden, N.J.: A.M. Heston, 1904; page 285
"Thomas W. Synnott (a descedant of Col. Thomas Heston) erected
a Presbyterian Church at Wenonah as a memorial to his mother, who was
Hannah Heston Whitney before her marriage. Colonel Thomas Heston was
a brother to Colonel Edward W. Heston, another "fighting Quaker"
of the Revolution, who founded Hestonville, now a part of Philadelphia.
genealogy : Michael Sinnett of Harpswell, Maine, his ancestry and descendants
: also records of other Sinnetts, Sinnotts, etc. in Ireland and America,"
by Charles N. Sinnett
Concord, N.H.: Rumford Press, 1910, 142 pgs.
Mr. Thomas W. Synnott,
Wenonah NJ gives the following sketch of his family line:
Synnott, b. Wexford, Ireland 1775; d. in New Jersey, 1812; studied
in Wexford (Ireland) College; merchant; cmae to America about 1793;
lived at Mary's Landing, N.J. and in Philadelphia PA; m. 1804, Hannah
Scull, b. 1780; d. 1840. His brother, John Synnott, lived near Wexford,
Ireland in 1832, his mother with him.
(2) Dr. Miles Synnott, b. 1806; d. 1867; lived
Glassboro, N.J 1833-1867; graduated 1831 from Jefferson Medical Colege,
Philadelphia pA; m. 1842 Harriet Heston Whitney, b. 1814; d. 1854; the
daughter of Eben Whitney, who was descended from Eben Whitney who came
to New England in 1640, and of Bathsheba Heston, the daughter of Col.
Thomas Heston, an officer in the Revolutionary War, and who in 1784
began the manufacture of glass at what is now known as Glassboro, N.J.
(3) Abigail Whitney
Synnott, b. 1843; m. Isaac Mofett.
Herbert N. Moffett, b. 1877
(3) Thomas Whitney Synnott,
b. 1845; resides Wenonah NJ; a very efficient elder in the Presbyterian
Church; trustee of Princeton Theological Seminar and of Lincoln University;
member of Presbyterian Board of Publication and Sabbath School work;
member of the General Assembly's Committee on Evangelization; president
of the First National Bank, Glassboro NJ; retired from active business
ome years since; m. July 1872 Mary D. Eldridge, b. Philadelphia PA 1848,
the daughter of Septimus T. Eldridge and Mary Pierce; these parents
lived at Wilmington DE and at Philadelphia PA
Clayton E. Synnott, b. 1876; m. 1897 Faith Botsford
Marion B. Synnott, b. 1898
Thomas W. Synnott, b. 1906
(3) Fannie W.
Synnott, b. 1847; unmarried
(2) Margaret Synnott, b. 1808; deceased; m.
Rev. John Crouch
(2) Catherine Synnott, b. 1810; deceased; m.
(2) Dr. Martin Synnott, b. 1812; d. 1871; graduated
from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia PA, 1839; no male heirs
PHOTOGRAPHS OF WENONAH,
Wenonah NJ Library on Mantua Ave.
Wenonah Railroad Ticket House, now "The
Wild Iris" on East Avenue
Tenant House of Stone House Farm, Mantua
Ave, Wenonah NJ circa 1800
Close up of Tenant House of Stone House Farm,
Mantua Ave, Wenonah NJ
House Built 1904 in Wenonah NJ, East Avenue
House Built 1870's in Wenonah NJ, East Avenue
Roy Duffield Realty Building on corner of Mantua
Ave & East Ave
Memorial Presbyterian Church on Mantua Ave in
Front View of Memorial Presbyterian Church,
Another view of Memorial Presbyterian Church,
Entrance to Wenonah Park, Mantua Avenue in
Commemorative Sign at Wenonah Park, Wenonah NJ
View of inside Wenonah Park, Wenonah NJ
Railroad Depot at the corner of Mantua and
East Avenue, Mantua NJ
2nd view of Wenonah Railroad Depot
Third View of Wenonah Train Station in Wenonah
Veterans memorial at the Wenonah NJ Train
Fourth View of Wenonah NJ Train Station
Fifth View (from across Mantua Ave) of Wenonah
NJ Train Station
of Wenonah NJ
of East Street looking toward Mantua Avenue, Wenonah NJ
View of Manuta Ave at the corner of East
Avenue looking west
View of the Wenonah Train Station taken from
Wenonah NJ Park Entrance
Wenonah NJ Town Buildings (newer) on corner
of East Avenue and Mantua Avenue
Postcards of Wenonah NJ from the "West Jersey Project"