Gloucester Co NJ - History & Genealogy  
 

M U N I C I P A L I T I E S    (CURRENT)
 

Billingsport - part of Paulsboro [called by the Swedes "Roder Udden" or Manta's Hook, it has also been known as Byllynges Point; during the Revolutionary War was known as Fort Billings; here too is the site of the Old Lincoln Park]

Area on the Delaware River, part of Paulsboro NJ. Some say it was named after Edward Byllynge. In 1777 a redoubt and fort was erected at Billingsport On March 15, 1778, Colonel Mawhood landed at Billingsport and marched up Salem Creek to Mantua Bridge and on the 16th fought the militia who retreated to Tomkins Farm where they halted and fought until forced to retreat to the vicinity of Colonel Boddo Otto's residence near Mickleton. ALSO SEE "PAULSBORO" below for links.

Borough of Clayton (includes Silver Lake)


Settled before the American Revolution, previous name Fislertown. Feb 5, 1858, Clayton township organized, formerly being a part of Franklin Township
History of Clayton NJ | Official Clayton Web Site

Township of Deptford
(Today, Deptford is comprised of many sections, including Almonesson, Jericho, New Sharon, Oak Valley, Westville Grove, Cooper Village, Blackwood Terrace, Hammond Heights, Lake Tract, Woodbury Terrace, Woodbury Gardens, Country Club Estates and Good Intent.)







The old township of Deptford was incorporated in 1695, and was comprised some 106 square miles and included what today is West Deptford, Washington Township, Monroe, Westville, Woodbury and Woodbury Heights.
[Almonesson was founded in 1789 by Daniel Lamb and had several names, including Lambtown, Cattell Town, Fox Run, Limber Bridge, and Jenningsville;
The New Sharon section, in the vicinity of Tanyard Road and Delsea Drive, was originally known in 1847 as Horseheads, and was also known as Monongahela.] For additional history of other sections of Deptford, click on the History link below). From a reliable source: Wescottville is located in Deptford Township, Gloucester County, about 6 miles from the Delaware River. It is on Clements' Bridge Road,abour 1/2 mile from its junction of Cooper Street, and is roughly the area where Clements' Bridge intersects with Caulfield Avenue. Although not incorporated, it does show on maps issued by the state of New Jersey through at least the 1960s.
History of Deptford NJ | History of Deptford #2
Official Township of Deptford Web Site

Township of
East Greenwich

(includes current day Mickleton, Clarksboro and Mt. Royal)




East Greenwich Township was created by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 10, 1881 from the eastern part of Greenwich Township and the western part of Mantua Township. Some of the old area names within this township include: Clarksboro, Clark's Mills, Hendricksons Mills, Mantua Creek, Mickleton, Middleton, Mount Royal, Sandtown, Tomlins, Tomlins Station, Upper Greenwich, Warringtons Mills, Wolfert, Wolfert Station, Village at the Crossroads
History & Genealogy of East Greenwich NJ | Official Township of East Greenwich NJ

Township of Elk
(comprised of several small settlements namely : Aura, Ferrell, Hardingville, Lawns, Lake Garrison, Lake Gilman, Lakeview Park, Clayton Park, and parts of Ewan & Clayton.


Settled by 1791. It was separated from Franklin, Harrison, Clayton, and Woolwich Townships on April 17, 1891. Previous name Shoestring Township -- current and older areas within this township include Aura (known as Union, Unionville, Union Station in early 1800`s), Ferrell,(earlier known as Fairview) , Hardingville, Lawns, Lake Garrison, Lake Gilman, Lakeview Park, Clayton Park, and parts of Ewan (earlier known as Ewan`s Mills) & Clayton, and Monroeville, Wrights Mill. Pine Tavern was built here by 1776.
History of Elk NJ | Elk Official Web Site

Township of Franklin (area names included
Blue Bell, Downstown, Forest Grove, Franklinville, Fries Mills, Iona, Janvier, Lake, Malaga, Marsh Lake, Pine Hollow, Plainville, Barretts Causeway and Porchtown,)

On January 27, 1820 a 72,000 acre collection of small villages, previously part of Woolwich and Greenwich Townships, was incorporated into a new municipality - the Township of Franklin. At that time Glassboro, Clayton, Newfield and Elk were a part of this tract.
History of Franklin NJ | Official Township of Franklin Web Site

Borough of Glassboro
(Elsmere was an area within Glassboro)





Incorporated in 1920. Originally settled during the Revolution by Stanger & Company, composed of seven brothers from Germany, who established a glass factory,the first successful manufactory of its kind in North America. Glassboro was an important glass-bottle manufacturing center for 150 years. It is said that the First City Troop of Philadelphia was formed in the house of the late Isaac Moffott.
History of Glassboro NJ | Borough of Glassboro Web Site | History of Glass & Glassboro

Township of Greenwich
(includes current areas of Greenwich and Gibbstown; other older area names included, Clements, Green, Monds Island, and Thompsons Point)

Greenwich Township, from which Gibbstown developed, had the largest population of the six townships in Gloucester County in 1695. East Greenwich Township spilt off in 1881. Paulsboro split off in 1904. Ethan Gibbs, the town's namesake, was a blacksmith in the early 1800's who owned a large portion of land upon which the township is located.
History of Greenwich | Official Township of Greenwich Web Site | Greenwich Historical Society | History of the Gibbstown Fire Dept - includes town history | Photographs of Gibbstown locations

Township of Harrison (includes current and old area names of
Ewan, Ewans Mills,
Fairview, Heritage, Jefferson, Lincoln, Mullica Hill, Richwood, Sherwin and Spicer)

Harrison Township was taken from Greenwich and Woolwich townships in 1844 and named Spicer, in honor of one of the early settlers of Mullica Hill, Jacob Spicer. It only retained the name for about a year, when it was changed to Harrison, in honor of Gen. William Henry Harrison, tenth President of the United States.
History of Harrison NJ | History of Harrison NJ #2
Official Township of Harrison Web Site | Harrison Historical Society

Township of Logan
(includes current day Bridgeport)


The Township of Logan was established in 1877; older and current area location name include Beckett, Bridgeport, Cadwalader, Center Square, Cooper Wharf, Coopers, Flood Gates, New Bridge, Nortonville, Prospect, Raccoon Island, and Repaupo
History of Logan NJ | Official Township of Logan Web Site

Township of Mantua (composed of four sections, Mantua, Barnsboro, Sewell, and Centre City)

According to Jim Rementer, Language Director for the Delaware Tribe of Indians (currently in Oklahoma), "Manta" or "Mantua" is not a known Lenape word. Older European-based histories indicate that "Manta is a Lenape word for frog." According to Mr. Rementer, the Lenape word for frog is "chahkol."

According again to Mr. Rementer, Mantua or Manta may have been a Native American village name. The closest phonetically sounding word to this might be "manëtu," which means "spirit" in the Lenape language.

 

 

 

In February, 1853 the inhabitants of the area officially took action to establish Mantua Township; current and older area names are Barnsboro/Barnsborough [Lodgetown], Boodys Mills, Burnsboro, Carpenter, Chew, Heritage, Eastlack Corner, Jessups, Sewell, and West Landing
History of Mantua NJ | Official Township of Mantua Web Site
[funny that the township doesn't even post a single page about its own history, huh?]

Note:
until recently "Manunkachunk" was listed here as a early name for Mantua. I believe this to be erroneous as the only older references I can find to this name is in Warren County NJ. In Gloucester Co, I find it only in NJ State publications dating back to the 1960's. It is entirely possible that this reference was a typographical error that has since been repeated many times, compounding the original error. However, it is also vaguely possible that Jim Six, writer for the Gloucester County Times lives in that area, known as "Manungachung;" Lenape translation: "Angry Mountain'"[please note that this reference to Manungachung is entirely in jest].

Several "official histories" of Mantua credit the township's name to "an Indian word, Manta, meaning frog." This webmaster believes the frog translation to be erroneous [see Lenape language comment in the left column]. It is more probable that the township's name had the same origin as "Mantas Hook" ["Mantaes hoeck" meaning Manta's Point in Dutch, the Mantaes being the Dutch term for the Native Americans who lived in this area] in Billingsport. The Manta (Mantes) were a Unalactigo sub-tribe or division of the Lenape people based on differences in dialect and location. The Unalactigo, "people near the ocean," inhabited both sides of the lower Delaware River below Philadelphia including Delaware Bay in what would currently be northern Delaware, southeast Pennsylvania, and southern New Jersey.

Case in point--on John Worlidge’s Map of East and West Jersey, c. London, 1706 Mantua Creek is referred to as Mantaes Creek; on a 1777 map it is called Manto Creek; on an 1872 map it is called Mantau Creek. Other meanings of "mantua" during this same time period was a woman's cloak or mantle; also, a loose woman's gown of the 17th and 18th centuries--coming from the term which also means a rich kind of silk [formerly exported from Mantua, Italy]. A maker of women's silk clothing was known as a "mantua-maker."

Township of Monroe [includes current locations of Cecil and Williamstown].

Settled prior to 1776. The township of Monroe was formed in March of 1859, and was formerly part of Washington Township. Old and current area names within Monroe Township include Berryland, Broad Lane, Cecil, Cross Keys, Downer, New Brooklyn, Radix, and Williamstown
History of Monroe | Monroe Historical Society | Official Township of Monroe Web Site

Mullica Hill - part of Harrison Township

 

 

 


In New Jersey, Mullica Hill and Mullica River, as well as Mullica Township preserve the name of the Mullika family, which, about the end of the seventeenth century, moved from the Tacony district to the east side of the Delaware River. In the late 17th century, English and Irish Quakers established plantations around the area now known as Mullica Hill. This Quaker community centered on the south bank of Raccoon Creek and was called Spicerville, honoring prominent landowner Jacob Spicer.In 1991, the entire village was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and the New Jersey State Register of Historic Places in recognition of its historic and architectural significance. The following year, Harrison Township established the village as a local historic district.
History of Mullica Hill | More History of Mullica Hill | Antiques at Mullica Hill | SEE Harrison Township for official web site | Harrison Historical Society (new)

Borough of National Park [originally Red Bank, not to be confused with the town of Red Bank in the northern part of New Jersey.]

National Park was referred to originally as Roder Udden from the Swedish language, meaning Red Bank. The use of the term arose from the color of the soil in the high Delaware River bank. The immigrant Swedes first came to this area in 1638. 
History of National Park | Borough of National Park Information (link broken 4/2010 | Red Bank Battlefield

Borough of Newfield

Newfield was a small village by 1881; Incorporated as a borough on March 8, 1924.
History of Newfield | Official Borough of Newfield Web Site

Borough of Paulsboro (includes Billingsport)




On March 2, 1904 Paulsboro and Billingsport, previously part of Greenwich Township, were incorporated as the Borough of Paulsboro, taking the name from Samuel Paul.
History of Paulsboro | More History & Photographs of Paulsboro (new) | Borough of Paulsboro Information | | Tinicum Light House | A website about Paulsboro [from BP company, includes history, archived version] | Gill Memorial Library | Billingsport Homeland Security Preservation Commitee

Borough of Pitman

Borough of Pitman’s 100th anniversary celebration is in 2005 [see Centennial Committee link on right for photographs and details]

Pitman Grove was established as a religious community in 1871, when the New Jersey Conference Camp Meeting Association [later the New Jersey Conference of the Methodist Church] was organized. Originally called Pitman Grove, its name honored Rev. Charles Pitman, a camp meeting preacher. In 1905, Pitman Grove became the Borough of Pitman
History of Pitman | Official Borough of Pitman Web Site

Township of South Harrison
(includes current and old area names of Cedar Grove, Harrisonville, Jessups Mills and Lincoln)

Organized in March, 1883 from Harrison Township
History of South Harrison | Official Township of South Harrison Web Site

Borough of Swedesboro
(one section of this borough was called Ivyside, others: Battentown)

A borough on Raccoon Creek, was settled by the Swedes about 1642. During the American Revolution, the British burned the school-house. In the Cemetery of Trinity Church are buried Colonel Bodo Otto, Colonel Thomas Heston, Colonel Robert Brown, Captain John Daniels, and others of Revolutionary fame.  
History of Swedesboro | History of "Old Swedes Church and Swedesboro | Swedesboro Web site | Old Swedes Inn now Tavro 13 | Moravian Church | Adams Meeting House, aka "Old Stone Church" | Swedesboro-Woolwich Historical Society

Township of Washington
(includes Turnersville, Hurffville, Grenloch, CrossKeys, Mayfair, Bunker Hill and Chapel Heights)

The Township of Washington was incorporated on February 17, 1836. Washington Township was part of Camden County from March 14, 1844 until February 28, 1871.Washington Township is 22.5 square miles; current and older area names within this township include:Bells Lake, Cressville, Dilkesboro, Fairview, Green Tree, Grenloch Terrace, Hurffville, Mount Pleasant, Prossers Mill, and Turnersville
History of Washington NJ | Official Township of Washington Web Site

Borough of Wenonah [formerly called Dilks Mill]

Wenonah is full of rich tradition which dates back to its incorporation as a Borough in 1873 from part of the town of Deptford. The town's name is of Native American origin, and reportedly means "West Wind."
Brief History of Wenonah NJ and Photographs | Official Borough of Wenonah Web Site


Township of West Deptford [includes Red Bank and Thorofare] Sections of this township included Colonial Manor, Greenfields, Paradise, Parkville (Teatown), Thorofare, Washington Park and Westville).

Located along the Delaware River across from Philadelphia, West Deptford Township has a rich history dating back to 1871 (when it was Incorporated and set off from Deptford); some of the current and old area names within this township are Eagle Point, Hoffman Wharf, League Island, Leonards, North Woodbury, Ogens, Paradise, Parkville, Pierces Corner, Red Bank, Tatens, Thorofare, Verga, Washington Park, and West End. History of West Deptford - see history of Deptford | West Deptford Historical Association | Official Township of West Deptford Web Site

Borough of Westville




In 1624, the Dutch built a fort in the vicinity of Westville. John Ladd built Candor Hall here about 1690. Previously called Sassackon and Timber Creek. Older area names include New Bold, South Westville, and Westville Manor; Incorporated as Westville in 1914.
History of Westville NJ | Official Borough of Westville Web Site

City of Woodbury





Woodbury had its beginning in 1683 when Henry Wood, a Quaker from Bury, England, settled there. Woodbury was occupied briefly in the winter of 1777 by Lord Cornwallis with an army of British troops and subsequently by the New Jersey Militia. It was incorporated as a City in 1871.
History of Woodbury NJ | Official City of Woodbury Web Site | History of Woodbury NJ (pamphlet) - this is a LARGE PDF file

Borough of Woodbury Heights

Settled about.1770, taken from Deptford Township; incorporated in 1915.
History of Woodbury Heights - see history of Deptford | Brief History of Woodbury Heights | Official Borough of Woodbury Heights web site

Township of Woolwich
(current and older names within this Township include Asbury, Dilkes Mills, Lippencott, Porches Mill, Robbins, Rulons and Scull)


Settled by Swedes in 1648, Woolwich Township was taken from Greenwich Township and constituted by Royal Charter on March 7, 1767. It incorporated as a Township of February 21, 1798.At one time, Woolwich Township was spread over a wide area, from the Delaware River east to what is now Franklin Township. From 1820 until 1902, municipalities such as Logan Township and Harrison Township became independent from Woolwich. In 1902 the Borough of Swedesboro was the last municipality to make the split from Woolwich.
History of Woolwich NJ [archived version PDF]
Official Township of Woolwich Web Site

Site Menu - also see links at the bottom of each page Main Page Municipalities History Genealogy Reference Photographs Contact Site Map

New Jersey Local Names Search


How New Jersey Counties were created

Origin of current Gloucester County municipalities

Maps of Gloucester County, New Jersey





 
Gloucester County NJ Main Page | Municipalities | History | Genealogy
Reference | Photographs | Contact | Site Map

If you have questions or comments, see the contact page
Copyright © 2003-2014 | Janice A. Brown | All rights reserved.