Upper Greenwich Hall was built in April 1874 for the the Upper Greenwich Hall
Association on land donated by Job [Jacob] and Rachel Carter. Conditions of the
deed: "Premises to be used for lectures, meetings, exhibitions, stores, library,
rooms and purposes of like character as named by the present charter. No instrumental
music, dancing, gambling or rum trading shall ever be allowed thereon." It
stood on the southeast corner of Kings Highway and Cedar Road.
Photograph of the
Upper Greenwich/Grange Hall taken approximately 1905.
by Pete Miskofsky.
the years this building was used for community events, and as a school, postoffice,
general store and the Grange Hall.
the Fall of 1874, Samuel Mickle Ogden, grandson of Samuel Mickle, opened his General
Store at this Upper Greenwich Hall.
Nov 18, 1874 a notice is found in "The Constitution" newspaper:
The Upper Greenwich Hall Association has arranged an admirable course of lectures
to be given in the new building. The lecturers are popular and entertaining and
should be cordially received by the people."
Select School at Upper Greenwich, in the new hall building, opened on the 16th
inst. with 22 scholars, under the care of Anna Churchman of Philadelphia, a thorough
and experienced teacher. A few more advanced scholars of either sex can be accomodated.
Photograph of the Upper Greenwich Hall, corner of Kings Highway
Cedar/Democrat Roads [now a vacant lot] from "Some Old Houses
of Mickleton NJ"
March 10, 1875, the Mickleton Post Office
was established here (in a small room behind the building) with Samuel Mickle
Ogden as first Postmaster.
in the "Constitution" newspaper, 3/10/1875:
Reading tonight at 7:30
in the Upper Greenwich Hall by H.V. McCully, elocutionist of great power. John
Haines, Charles Middleton, George Craft, Isaac N. Hughes, Charles K. Wolfe, Committee
- Job Carter rewrites deed to permit the Upper Greenwich Hall Association to have
instrumental music in the Hall.
& Store Owners:
[For a list of only Mickleton Postmasters SEE Mickleton
Samuel Mickle Ogden - 1896
William M. Ogden - 1899
Elmer Bradshaw, Postmaster and Proprietor of Store - 9/1899
John W. Parker
- Postmaster and Proprietor of Store - 7/7/1902
Enoch V. Locke - Postmaster
and Proprietor of Store - 2/15/1904
Henry Doerrmann, Postmaster and Proprietor
of Store - 6/14/1909
"Mickleton Grange #111-P.O.H." - 5/12/1919
J. Clark Haines, Acting Postmaster - 2/2/1927
J. Clark Haines - Postmaster
and Proprietor of Store - 2/26/1927
Seth H. Warrington - Acting Postmaster
Seth H. Warrington, Postmaster / John R. P. Fowler, Proprietor
of Store - 4/16/1929
George H. Kirby, Acting Postmaster - 7/12/1929
H. Kirby, Postmaster and Proprietor of Store - 11/21/1929
Proprietor of Store - c1944-1946
James Hammond & wife, proprietor of store
Michael DiPhillipantonia, and his brother-in-law, Joseph DiSalvo, proprietors
of store - 1947
Edna Thompson, Postmaster; Norma and Dominick Mennite, proprietors
of store - 1951-1952
[Also see History of Mickleton
Post Office for additional postmasters]
10/19/1976 the Mickleton Grange transferred the building and 1/8 acre to Gino
and Mary Alberto. In
1977 the 103 year old Hall was razed.
The junction of Kings Highway
and Cedar/Democrat Roads taken in November 2004. This photograph shows the location
as it looks today. The corner space to the left of the white "garage"
is where the Mickleton Grange once stood. The garage was the location of Mickleton's
small building/garage that can still be found next to where Upper Greenwich Hall
used to sit (immediately to the right in the three photographs above), has an
interesting origin. In the 1890's a wooden building on this spot was owned by
Joseph Leigh, village blacksmith. By 1906 August Eichler was blacksmith here.
Later it was owned by Raeman Borden. In 1981 Gino Alberto had a Mickleton Service
company here that repaired farm machinery and cars.
bell from the bell tower of this building can be found in a display case located
in the front of the current East Greenwich