This list is not a complete one--there are additional historic
places of note that will be added soon.
George Craft III House -
built about 1885, it was the home of Quaker author, Elizabeth
Gray Vining, in 1951 and 1952. She wrote her book "Windows
for the Crown Prince," while living here. (Private Residence)
Death of the Fox Tavern - located
on King's Highway in Mount Royal; built in 1727; located in Mount
Royal. Used as a recruiting station during the American Revolution;
meeting place of the Gloucester Fox Hunting Club; Col. Bodo Otto,
Jr. a surgeon in General George Washington's army died here. [this
building has now been deemed eligible for the New Jersey Historic
Register, it is a Private Residence]
Cemetery - located on King's Highway in Clarksboro; the
oldest (still in continuous operation) cemetery in the United
States. Located in Clarksboro. Originally the land was set apart
as a cemetery by John Eglington in his last will and testament
in 1776. Jeffrey Clark and other members of the Clark family (for
whom Clarksboro is named) are buried here. Their original burial
ground was at the corner of the lot where the Death of the Fox
Tavern now sits, extending under the railroad track to the corner
of what is now Gattuso's garage lot. [Ordinarily cemeteries, birthplaces,
graves of historical figures, typically are not be considered
eligible for the National Register. However this cemetery has
importance to our township on a local level, due to many of our
founding residents being buried here].
Haines Pork Shop - located on King's
Highway in Mickleton; built around 1865 it is possibly the oldest
business in Mickleton, still in existence (and being used for
its original purpose).
William Harrison House
- located on Kings Highway in Mickleton, This house is believed
to have been built c1746 for William Harrison on land heired from
his father, Samuel Harrison. (Private Residence)
Cemetery - the
ancient burial ground of the Lippincott family, notably of Restore
& Deborah (Cooper) Lippincott. Located in Clarksboro, it is
located within the Shady Lane complex.
Wells Anderson House - Stone portion believed to have
been built c1770 for Margaret Wells Albertson on land heired from
her grandfather, William Harrison. Margaret and her husband Aaron
Albertson lived there from 1770-1784 (Private Residence)
House - located on King's Highway in Clarksboro; built
by Nicholas Justice/Justison ca. 1747 of hand hewn pine; owned
by Thomas Clark from 1777-1809 (Clarksboro is named after his
family, Private Residence).
Red Schoolhouse - built
in 1810 as a Friend's School, and the first school house in Mickleton.
Currently maintained by the Mickleton Society of Friends, through
their Little Red Schoolhouse Committee. [Listed on the HABS and
HAER] [A community building owned by the Mickleton Friends]
Friends Meeting House - located on the corner of King's Highway and Democrat
Road; built in 1799 on a 2-acre plot, donated by both Samuel Mickle and Samuel
Tonkin. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. [National
Otto-Tonkin House [aka Bodo Otto
House] - located on King's Highway in Mickleton and was built
before 1771; was the home of Col. Bodo Otto, Jr. (who was stationed
at Valley Forge with General George Washington) and his family.
The "Battle of Saunder's Run"
was fought nearby. The British partially burned this house. [Township
commemorative marker, National Historic Register, Private Residence]
Peaslee, Main House - located
on Kings Highway, this house was built in 1876 by the Peaslee
family. It was the birthplace of Ambassador Amos J. Peaslee (an
international lawyer and ambassador to Australia from 1953-1956
under President Dwight D. Eisenhower).
A debate society at Swarthmore College is named after him.
[Submitted to the NJ Historic Register for eligibility, Private
Creek Bridge - In 1777, the bridge in Mount Royal that passed over this
River was destroyed by American patriots in an attempt to slow the advance of
the British army. It was rebuilt in November 1777 by the British. [Township commemorative
Mount Royal Inn -
located at the crossroads of King's Highway and North Street; an early inn
built about 1762; in 1869 it was used by the U.S. army as its headquarters in
New Jersey. [Township commemorative marker]
Graveyard - located on Wolfert Station Road in Mickleton, NJ; established
in 1741 by Solomon Lippincott as a Quaker burial ground. Many of the township's
early settlers and founders are buried here. [See notation above under "Eglington
Peter's Churchyard/Colonial Cemetery - located on King's Highway near
the crossroads in Mount Royal; through primary evidence it is known that this
lot was the location of St. Peter's original church and cemetery when it was established
there. The stone wall surrounding this cemetery are from the original St. Peter's
Church built about 1767. Some of the early settlers of East Greenwich are buried
here. A description of this original church can be found at the St. Peter's Church
St. Peters Protestant Episcopal
Church - originally built of stone in Mount Royal. This new (current)
church was built in Clarksboro in 1845. The stones from the older church were
used to wall in the church yard and cemetery that still exists in Mt. Royal (see
above). [Listed on the New Jersey Historic Register]
United Methodist Church - the current structure in Clarksboro was built
in 1883, although the history of this congregation goes back to at least 1770.
The graveyard behind the church dates back to at least 1859.
SEE "HISTORY" SECTION of this web site