Mickleton Park | Hidden Acres
Park | Other Parks
PARK (Tot-Lot Park)
Democrat Road, Mickleton
Mickleton Park on Democrat Road in 2003
to the Gloucester County Times, July 21, 2001
EAST GREENWICH, TWP. --
Residents here joined Mayor Dalyn L. Curry to officially dedicate the townshp's
only Tot-Lot Park on Democrat Road to Mickleton Friday night.
park's dedication ceremony was held to honor Laura Getsinger, a long-time
educator in the township school district who passed away.
park was also built in her honor. "Laura was a special person who dedicated
most of her life to the education of children," Curry said. "She also
held a strong interest of the township's history and cared for seniors in the
township in her latter years."
park, now named Mickleton Park, was chosen from hundreds of entries from local
schoolchildren. The ceremony was followed by an outdoor concert by the group,
to the East Greenwich Update [Town Bulletin]
dated October 2001
June 23, Parks and Recreation dedicated the new park on Democrat Road, naming
it "Mickleton Park," a name selected by the Township Committee from
suggestions submitted by students at the East Greenwich Elementary School. The
winning entry was proposed by Alex Velazquez, who won a $200 savings bond. The
seond place winner was Alicia Andrescage and the third-place winner was Michael
Gallagher, who both won $100 savings bonds. The township thanks all students who
send in their suggestions.
park was dedicated to Laura Getsinger, a long-time community resident and teacher
in the township.
About Laura Getsinger
Thanks to the generosity of George Popp, East
Greenwich Township Committee member for proving the following information:
Laura Bundens Getsinger was born on January 3, 1912 to Warner D. and Laura Bundens
in Jefferson, N.J. She lived in Gloucester County all her life and was a teacher
in the East Greenwich Township schools. Her father, Warner, was the first police
chief in East Greenwich, and lived in Clarksboro on Cohawkin Road where he and
his wife, Laura raised a family of four children, including Laura (her mother's
namesake) for whom Mickleton Park was dedicated. Laura wrote several books about
her memories of Gloucester County including "Laura's Memories," "I
Remember..," and "The Memories Linger On."
HIDDEN ACRES PARK
Acres Park, a park of 50 acres off Jessup Mill Road has a stream, ball fields
and picnic and barbecue facilities. History: In 1958 money had been set aside
in the will of Frank H. Stewart for the establishment of park, recreation grounds
and bird sanctuaries. In 1961 the township committee purchased land from Joseph
DiSimone and William Brickner. In May 1962 then Mayor Raymond Thompson appointed
a park committee consisting of Chairman Mrs. Barbara Bramell, Carlton Carter,
Ralph Dyson, Norman Eastlack, Mrs. Joan Frampton and Mrs. Grace Jacobson. Other
organizations cooperating in the preparation of the park grounds included: Mickleton
Grange, Explorer Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4-H Boys and Indian Guides. Trails were blazed,
campfires cleared and a gravel road into the park was constructed. Multiflora
rose bushes, spruce and pine trees, a stone campfire ring, a foot bridge across
the stream, picnic tables, benches and a comfort station were added. The entrance
was graced with 96 flowering trees and shrubs. The Park was dedicated by then
mayor Raymond Thompson on July 5, 1964.
Hidden Acres Park: This 50-acre park is located off
Jessup Mill Road has a stream, foot ball and baseball fields and
picnic and barbecue facilities.
Thompson Family Park: This new 60-acre park located at
40 East Wolfert Station Road, Mickleton features soccer and lacrosse
fields, walking trails, playgrounds, tennis courts and picnic
the East Greenwich Township web site, Parks
& Recreation Department.