Kings Highway, Clarksboro
photograph courtesy of Mary Cloud Hollingshead. Seated on porch: Amos J. &
Hannah (Lippincott) Peaslee, daughter Hannah and a boy, Charles Jackson and his
1847 Amos Peaslee purchased the Justice-Peaslee
farm from the estate of Joseph V. Clark family. He then built the Peaslee
"Main House" in 1876 for his son, Gideon Peaslee. His grandson, Ambassador
Amos Peaslee was born here in 1887.
Peaslee House 1981
from "Some Old Homes of Mickleton"
Side view of Peaslee
Photograph by Janice Brown, 2004
Peaslee Sr. became an international lawyer and spent 20 years working on a World
War One sabotage case called "The Black Tom Case." Amos served as the
US Ambassador to Australia (with the full title of "Ambassador Extraordinary
and Plenipotentiary") from August 12, 1953 to February 16, 1956 under the
administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
During this time Ambassador
Peaslee lived in New York. When he inherited the farm in 1930, he allowed several
different tenants to run the farm. World War II began and two Jewish refugees
from Hitler's Germany came to live here--Helga and Rudy Doblin. Amos took music
lessons from Rudy.
Back View of Peaslee
"Main House" -- photograph taken by Janice Brown, 2003
years later, Wick and Mary Cloud Hollingshead purchased this house from the Peaslee
family. A few years ago, they purchased "The Barn."
from a document provided by Emma Peaslee Engle. "It is believed that the
barn was built about 1747 during the French and Indian Wars. Nicholas Justice
built his home (the large house to the left as you
face the front of the barn). He also built the small house to the left of
the barn as a corn-crib. Some of the main crossbeams with wood peg fasteners resemble
beams found in both the "Crib House" and Justice House; however they
are all that remain of the original beams. A close look at the rest of the beams
in the roof and those resting on the cross breams reveal a more current construction
technique using nails and straighter, squarer beams. These date to approximately
1802. That is when Thomas Clark (founder of Clarksboro) purchased the farm and
added an addition to the Justice House and to the barn."
her Uncle Ed Bond farming and milking cows in the barn. There were two horses
and three cows at that time. The cows stayed where the fireplace is now, and the
horse was stabled where the kitchen and bathrooms are now. A hayfork on top moved
the hay mounds on each side of the center.
In 1942 Amos renovated the
barn. At the end of the summer it was opened as a social hall. A concert was held
to open the barn. Rudy Doblin played the violin, Helga Doblin played the piano
and Amos played a piece he head learned. Other concerts were held for the Red
Cross. Ambassador Peaslee's 80th birthday party here; many family gatherings have
been held here since then.
of Peaslee "Main House" - Photograph by Janice Brown, March 2004