Some Sources (History):
Official program, Finnish Tercentenary Day : 300th anniversary of first
Finnish settlement in America : Chester, Pennsylvania, June 29, 1938.
Chester, Pa.: Printed by J. Spencer, 1938, 32 pgs.
Barber, John Warner,
[View Citation] [Table of Contents]
Historical collections of the state of New Jersey : containing a general
collection of the most interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches,
anecdotes, etc. relating to its history and antiquities, with geographical
descriptions of every township in the state : illustrated by 120 engravings
New York: Published for the authors, by S. Tuttle, 1844, 520 pgs.
Swedesboro is situated
on the south side of Raccoon Creek, about 5 miles from its mouth. It is
an enclave within Woolwich Township, located 10 miles from Woodbury, NJ
and about 18 miles from Camden. Swedesboro is one of only two Swedish settlements
in New Jersey, along with Bridgeport.
What is now known
as the Borough of Swedesboro, was originally part of the colony named
Sweden, and was made up of Finnish
and Swedish settlers [the present nation of Finland was then a part of
Sweden]. From 1638 until 1656 the land along both shores of the Delaware
River was the colony's territory, and ships continued to bring additional
settlers, ruled by royal governors. One of these royal governor's Johann
Printz, built his capital, "Printzdorf" on Tinicum Island. In
a map of the Delaware River and adjacent parts, published by Lindstom
soon after his visit to this country in 1642, a station or settlement
is noted as being in existence on Raccoon Creek. The Swedes and Finns
traded with the Indians, and sent furs, tobacco and other products back
to Sweden, while developing farming, building churches and homes, and
making a small but successful colony in the New World.
An early name for
the area of Swedesboro was Raccoon, so named for the Creek in the same
vicinity. For many years the Swedes and Finns on the New Jersey side made
the trip to Ft. Christina near Wilmington Delaware to attend Church.
In 1701 a young
Tollstadius arrived in New Sweden, and he urged the building of a
church at Raccoon.
In 1703 the
church at was Racoon completed. It was a cedar log structure and called
Evangelical Lutheran Church at Raccoon. It was the first Swedish church
built in New Jersey, and stood near the site of the present Episcopal
In the same year (1703)
Kings Highway from Burlington finally reached the vicinity of Racoon Creek.
Now the town began to grow faster.
On 29 July 1739
some Swedesboro residents of "Rackcown Creek" signed a bible,
including: Elias Thomas, William Neville, John Rumford, Richard Pratt,
George Howox, Michal Conshee, Morris Connor, Thomas Ferril, John Plumly,
Jacob Richman, Francis Batten, William Estlacke, Jonathan Beaton, William
Webster and Brian Ward.
The first church erected by the Moravians at Oliphant's Mill in
1747 was a log one about 3 miles south of the center of Swedesboro.
This was replaced in 1786 with the present building.
In 1748 botanist,
Kalm, student of Linnaeus, traveled to Philadelphia, PA. He traveled
to Raccoon, NJ on November 20, 1748. In the diary of his travels he wrote
of the many American sycamores planted in great numbers on the dikes of
earth along the Delaware River in the area. He stayed overnight with the
Swede Peter Rambo. He subsequently stayed with a deacon of the Swedish
church, Eric Ragnilsson. On November 24 he wrote that he had continued
his journey past the Swedish church in Raccoon to Pilesgrove. He attended
services in Raccoon, NJ, and subsituted in the pulpit when Johan Sandin
their pastor died.
Photograph of Grand Sprute
taken by Chad G. Nichols in December 2007
In 1756 a brick farm house was built on a side road off Route 322,
two miles west of the intersection of US322 and County Road 551 in Woolwich
Township. First known as the Grand Sprute Plantation house is also known
as the Vanleer-Black-Schorn home. It was used as a trading post for Native
Peoples and European settlers alike. The outer walls of the Grand Sprute
Plantation House are 14 inches thick. Four corner fireplaces are intact
on the first floor.
Photograph of Mortonson-Schorn Log Cabin
taken by Chad G. Nichols in December 2007
Formerly located on the Grande Sprute property (above) was the Mortenson-VanLeer
aka "Schorn" Log Cabin that was later donated to the
Gloucester County Historical Society, and removed to the Swedesboro Episocopal
Churchyard. This is a private home.
In 1765 residents
changed the name of the town to Swedesboro.
of exterior and interior of Trinity Episcopal Church
Taken by Chad G. Nichols in December 2007
The present Episcopal
Church was erected in 1784, (as a Swedish Lutheran Church) at which time
the log church was taken down. At this period there were about a dozen
dwellings built, mostly of logs. Jonas Auren appears to have ben the first
pastor; he was then appointed in 1697, and died in 1713. He was succeeded
by Abraham Lidenius in 1714, who remained until 1724, when he returned
to Sweden. Petrus Tranberg and Andreas Windrufwa were sent over in 1726;
they divided the churches between them, and so continued until 1728, when
Windrufwa died. John Sandin, the next pastor, was appointed in 1748, and
died over the next year. He was succeeded by John Lidenius in 1756. John
Wicksell, the next pastor arrived in 1762, returned in 1774, and was succeeded
by Nicholas Collin in 1778, a native of Upsal, in Sweden.
Dr. Collin was the last of the Swedish ministers who officiated at Swedesboro.
In July, 1786, he was rector of Wicaco (in Philadelphia) and the churches
in connection. Dr. Collin translated "Acrelius' History of New Sweden,"
which he undertook in 1799 at the request of the Historical Society of
New York, in whose possession it now remains.
Buried in the church
yard cemetery is Eric P. Mullica for whom the Mullica River is named.
In the mid 1600s, he came with a group of settlers to Raccoon but did
not stay long. He moved farther inland to the banks of the Little Egg
Harbor River. He established a community on the river called Lower Bank,
at Mullica Hill. Also buried in this cemetery (now of Trinity Church)
are Colonel Bodo Otto, Colonel Thomas Heston, Colonel Robert Brown, Captain
John Daniels, and others of Revolutionary fame.
respecting the customs of the early Swedish settlers, is from "Waton's
Annals of Philadelphia:"
"To the church upon Tinicum Island all the Swedes, settled upon
the Delaware, used to go in their canoes from long distances. THey did
the same in visiting the primitive log church at Wicaco--almost all their
conveyances were preferred by water. There was a store upon Darby to which
they always went by water, even when the land route was often nearest.
The old Swedish inhabitants were said to be very successful in raising
chick turkeys; as soon as hatched they plunged them into cold water, and
forced them to swallow a whole pepper-corn,--they then returned it to
its mother, and it became as hardy as a hen's chick. When they found them
drooping, their practice was to examine the rump feathers, and such two
or three as were found filled with blood were to be drawn, and the chick
would revive and thrive."
Kalm, the Swedish traveller, who was here among his countrymen in
1748, had left us such noticed as follow concerning them, to wit:
"The ancient Swedes used the sassafras for tea, and for a dye.
From the persimmon tree they made beer and brandy. They called the mullein
plant the Indian tobacco; they tied it around their arms and feet, as
a cure when they had the ague. They made their candles generally from
the bayberry bushes; the root they used to cure tooth-ache; from the bush
they also made an agreeable smelling soap. The magnolia tree they made
use of for various medicinal purposes.
The houses of the first Swedish settlers were very indifferent; it consisted
of but one room; the door was so low as to require you to stoop. Instead
of window panes of glass they had little holes, before which a sliding
board was put, or on other occasions they had isinglass; the cracks between
logs were filled with clay; the chimneys, in a corner, were generally
of gray sandstone, or for want of it, sometimes of mere clay; the ovens
were in the same room. THey had at first separate stables for the cattle,
but after the English came and set the example, they left their cattle
to suffer in the open winter air. The Swedes wore vests and breeches of
skins; hats were not used, but little caps with flaps before them. They
made their own leather and shoes, with soles (like moccasins) of the same
material as the tops. The women, too, wore jackets and petticoats of skins;
their beds, excepting for the sheets, were of skins of bears, wolves,
&c. Hemp they had none, but they used flax for ropes and fishing tackle.
This rude state of living was, however, in the country places principally,
and before the English came, who, rough as they must have also lived for
a time, taught a comparative state of luxury."
The schoolhouse, parsonage,
and tavern being built of the same materials as the Swedish Lutheran Church.
The Native Americans (Lenape) at this time, lived on the borders of Raccoon
Creek, and deer were quite plentiful.
In 1765, the
charter for the "Swedish Evangelical Lutheran church" was granted,
George III being king, and William Franklin, governor of the colony of
New Jersey. The following names appear in the petition for the charter,
viz.: Rev. John Wicksell, Thomas Denny, John Denny, John Rambo, James
Steelman, John Helm, Benjamin Rambo, Jonas Keen, Erick Cox, Jacob Archer,
Isaac Justison, Gilbert Rinelds, Gabriel Strang, William Homan, Peter
Matson, Peter Keen, Andrew Jones, Hans Urien, John Holfman, Lawrence Strang,
John Derickson, Charles Locke, Erick Ranels, Jacob Jones, William Matsen,
James Halton, Andrew Lock, Moses Holfman, Chas. Fullor, and Andrew Vanneman,
in behalf of themselves and others, inhabiting near Raccoon creek, in
the county of Gloucester, &c.
In 1771, what is now known as the "Swedes Inn" was built, originally
licensed as a tavern. It was later known as the Washington Tavern and
the Old Ford Hotel, and the "Old Swedes Inn." It continues to
this day as a wonderful dining place in Swedesboro, and is reportedly
haunted by the ghost of a little girl. . Read
more about it's history!
In the year 1777, Rev.
Nicholas Collin (of Trinity Church in Swedesboro) was accused of
being pro-English and taken prisoner. He describes being "under close
guard by a strong escort with loaded guns and fixed bayonets, and judging
from their barbaric expressions I often expected death, especially as
many were drunk and fired several salvos for their own amusement".
Fortunately a Doctor Otto arrived and obtained his release by going bail.
The following day he was asked to take the oath of allegiance to the new
Government or go to the English camp. He negotiated with the authorities
and took "the oath with explicit reservation to remain neutral and
to do nothing which would be unworthy of me as a Swedish subject".
On March 22 &
27, 1778 and April 4, 1778, the British visited this place
during the American Revolution, burnt several houses, and among other
things took the furniture and bedding of Col. Brown, and consumed them
by a bonfire in the Street [officially called a raid and skirmish].
With the passage of
years, the coming of English settlers, the change of goverment and their
inter-marriages with the Finns and Swedes, the early Swedesboro Lutheran
church became an Episcopal parish (i.e. Trinty Church, Swedesboro).
In 1844 Swedesboro
contained 2 churches (one Episcopal) and one Methodist, 6 merchantile
stores, an extensive woollen factory, an academy, and about 75 dwellings.
In 1902 Swedesboro set itself off from Woolwich Township as a borough.
The oldest extant
log cabin in the United States, the Nothnagle Cabin was built by Antti
Niilonpoika (Anthony Neilson/Nelson) in Swedesboro. It is a registered
national historic site.
SOME GENEALOGIES BIOGRAPHIES OF SWEDESBORO PEOPLE
Biographical review : containing life sketches of leading citizens of
Camden and Burlington Counties, New Jersey; Boston: Biographical Review
Publishing Co., 1897, 526 pgs.
Jenning's Sixth Regiment Band, and one of the best known musicians in
Camden NJ was born in Swedesboro, Gloucester County, NJ, son of Joseph
and Mary A. (Price) Jennings.
His father was a native of England, where he followed mercantile pursuits,
and was also President of the Taunton Bank of Wilton, until coming to
this country. He was awarded by the United States government a gold medal
for the invention of a heating a cooking apparatus combined. After retiring
from business, he spent almost all his time in philanthropic works. His
last years were passed at Swedesboro, where he died. His wife, Mary, who
was a native of Wales, became the mother of six children, four of whom
are living, namely: Josephine, wife of Robert B. Knight; Frances M., E.
Fayetta; and Josephus, the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Mary A. Price
Jennings resided in Camden a number of years. She died November 15, 1891.
In religion she was an Episcopalian, and her husband was a Baptist. Josephus
was about three years old when his father died. He lived in New York for
a few years, and then, coming to Camden, obtained his education in the
best schools in this city and in Philadelphia. [the biography continues
with more employment not included here]. In 1879 Mr. Jennings wedded Anna
C. Smith. She was born in Camden, daughter of Aaron Smith, formerly a
well-known merchant of Philadelphia. Mrs. Jennings died in September 1893,
leaving four of the five children born to her; namely, Albert Merrett,
Rolin Howard, Josephus, and Walter Price. Mr. Jennings owns the old family
homestead at Swedesboro, "Glen Echo," where he spends summers
with his family. He has rendered much aid in organizing a Baptist church
in his native place.
Record of Pennsylvania volunteers in the Spanish-American War, 1898;
Harrisburg, Pa.?: W.S. Ray, state printer, 1901, 953 pgs.
DRAGER, Theodore H., Priv. Co. K., Res. Swedesboro, N.J.; Enrd.
May 7, 1898, M.I. May 13, 1898; M.O. with Co. Oct. 17, 1898
History of St. Clair County, Michigan : containing an account of its
settlement, growth, development and resources, an extensive sketch of
its cities, towns and villages, their improvements, industries, manufactories,
churches, schools and societies, its war record, biographical sketches,
portraits of prominent men and early settlers, the whole preceded by a
history of Michigan, and statistics of the state; Chicago: A.T. Andreas
& Co., 1883, 791 pgs.
REV. NORMAN NASH was descended from Thomas Nash who came from London
in 1637, with his family, and settled in what is now New Haven, Conn.
Norman was the youngest of thirteen children. His father Ebenezer Nash
of Long Meadow, Mass., married Susannah Hills of North Bolton (now Vermont),
Conn., and finally settled in Ellington, Conn., where Norman was born
November 17, 1790. About 1820 he began his ministerial labors as a missionary
in Hampshire County, Va., having been ordained as an Episcopal Deacon
by the Rt. Rev. Richard C. Moore, and labored so hard in that mountainous
region that his health failed. He was afterward ordained by the Rt. Rev.
William White, D.D. and preached in Huntingdon, Penn., andfter which he
entered upon missionary work at Green Bay, Wis., and was engaged teaching
the Menominee Indians. From 1830 to 1834, he preached in Swedesboro, N.J.
During these labors he assisted in the education of three of his nephews
for the Episcopal ministry who are located as follows: The Rev. Francis
B. Nash, at Tiskilwa, Ill.; the Rev. Rudolphus Nash, at Worthington, Ohio;
the Rev. Norman Badger, now Chaplain in the United States Army.
In 1835 or 1836, Dr. Nash was appointed by President Jackson as a missionary
and teacher among the Indians, then at Port Huron, the Chippewas and Ottawas,
with a salary of $400 per year. In July 1836, Dr. McCoskry was made bishop
of the (then new) diocese of Michigan, and owing to an unfortunate misunderstanding
between the Indian agent, H.R. Schoolcraft, who was stationed at Mackinac,
and the Bishop on the one side, and Dr. Nash upon the other, regarding
the channel through which he was to receive his salary, he refused to
receive from the Bishop the amount due him, and persisted in his refusal
to the time of his death...He was frequently called upon to serve as physician...this
old resident died November 11, 1870.
The Reverend John Graham of Woodbury, Connecticut and his descendants,
by Helen Graham Carpenter; Chicago: Monastery Hill Press, 1942, 658 pgs.
JOHN REQUA-5 GRAHAM (HENRY-4, ISAAC GILBERT-3, ANDREW-2, JOHN-1),
son of Henry-4 Graham and Sarah Requa, was born Feb 28, 1818 in Ossining,
N.Y. and died June 30, 1909, aged 91 in Washington, D.C. He married Jan.
1, 1843 in Gloucester County, N.J., Sarah Groff, daughter of William Morgan
Groff and Rebecca Gaskill. She was born Oct. 27, 1819, and died Feb. 5,
1890, aged 71 in Washington, D.C. Both are buried in the Lake Park Cemetery,
Swedesboro, N.J. [more info in the biography]
The Jackson family : a history of Ephraim Jackson, first ancestor to
come to America and his descendants 1684-1960, by Jesse Calvin, Cross;
1961, 417 pgs.
Born 2-2-1848 Lancaster Co, PA. and died 1-30-1914. Married 10-19-1874
Rachel M. Cawley, daughter of Abraham and Susanna (Richards) Cawley, of
Swedesboro, N.J. She born 8-10-1846 and died 3-13-1918.
1. Harry Cawley Brinton, b. 9-14-1875 at Swedesboro NJ; married 3-21-1908
to Elizabeth Bird Moyer, dau. of Theodore Hartley and Mary Elizabeth (Bird)
Moyer of Philadelphia; he owned and operated a farm near Hanover, PA
2. Amy Sartain Brinton, born 4-21-1877
3. Alfred Brinton, b. 4-4-1879
4. Jesse Read Brinton, b. 9-6-1880
5. Russell Lyle Brinton, b. 2-20-1885
The genealogy and history of the descendants of Mercy Shreve and James
White; Greenfield, Ill.: Priv. print., 1897, 268 pgs. by L.P. Allen
HOPE WHITE SHREVE, the ninth child and fifth dau. of Mercy Shreve
and James White, was b. May 21, 1766; m. Job Robbins (b. June 7, 1764)
in 1786. She d. in Swedesboro, N.J. He d. Feb 22d, 1839.
His occupation was a weaver. All his sons were bound by law and learned
Robert was a farmer and weaver.
Nathan was a druggist; kept store in Salem, N.J.
James W. was a painter and cabinet maker
John was a baker
Elisha was a jeweler
Charles was a tailor
Caleb S. was a baker in Philadelphia, and after the marriage of his daughter
lived in Hatboro, Pa.
Children of Job & Mercy (Shreve) Robbins:
1. Ruth Robbins, b. Jan 1, 1788; m. Samuel Barry
2. Mercy White Robbins, b. Oct. 28, 1789; m. Abner Pitman
3. Caleb Shreve Robbins; b. Sept. 25, 1791; m. Hannah Shreve
4. Robert L. Robbins; b. Aug 14, 1793; m. Ann Crashaw
5. Nathaniel Robbins, b. Apr. 30 1796; m. Mary Ann Robertson
6. James White Robbins, b. Apr 4, 1798; m. Jemima Madara, Swedesboro,
N.J.; d. Smithport, PA 1835. Mr. Robbins lived in Philadelphia PA until
he moved to Smithport in 1835. He was an artist and by trade a cabinet
maker. His death resulted from a surgical operation. His widow survived
him, living in Swedesboro. Two children, Emily Robbins, b. 1831 and was
living in Swedesboro; -- Robbins (son) d. in infancy
7. John Ackley Robbins, b. March 22, 1800; m. Matilda Wessells
8. Elisha Robbins, b. Feb 2, 1802; m. Anna Foust
9. Charles Berryen Robbins, b. Dec 6, 1804, m. Hannah Risdon
10. Job Miller Robbins, b. July 5, 1808; d. July 21, 1808
11. Mary White Robbins, b. Nov 15, 1811; d. Oct 22, 1818
The Ogden family in America, Elizabethtown branch, and their English
ancestry : John Ogden, the Pilgrim, and his descendants, 1640-1906, their
history, biography & genealogy, by William Ogden Wheeler
Philadelphia: Printed for private circulation by J.B. Lippincott Co.,
1907, 601 pgs.
SAMUEL G. OGDEN-- son of Hon. Jonathan & Abigail (Gardner)
Ogden (Stephen, Thomas, David, John) was born May 13, 1777 and died after
1840. In a letter by a relative is noted as residing in Swedesboro, Gloucester
Co. N.J. with his family.
Eyre genealogy : tracing the ancestors and descendants of Isaac and
Eleanor Cooper Eyre, by Barclay Eyre; Washington: C. Leake, 1921, 16 pgs.
SIXTH GENERATION IN AMERICA
ISAAC PRESTON EYRE, son of William & Elizabeth (Davis) Eyre,
born 1834, died 1864. He married in 1857 to Sybil OGDEN of Swedesboro,
N.J. and had at least 2 children.
The Dare family history, by William Harry Montgomery; Poughkeepsie, N.Y.:
unknown, 1939, 340 pgs.
ELIZABETH McDANIELS-6, dau of William Dare & Elizabeth Conover
-- McDaniels, m. ELAM WOODOTH (... 1892). He of Swedesboro, N.J. afterwards
Camden, NJ. Children: Ella Woodoth, Albert Woodoth, Emily Woodoth, David
Stratton genealogy of Long Island, N.Y., by Sidney V. Stratton; Natchez,
Miss.: unknown, 1901, 161 pgs.
came to Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY 1643. In 1650 he removed to Easthampton
LI where his brother, John Stretton had arrived in 1648-49. Richard married
Elizabeth Edwards, dau of William Edwards of Easthampton. Richard Stretton's
will was dated April 7, 1647. His widow married again to Thomas Baker
Sr. of Easthampton. There were no children by her 2d husband. She died
5 January 1704.
Children of Richard & Elizabeth (Edwards) Stretton:
1. Richard Jr., died 1698; married Mary --; had issue
2. Thomas, married Mary --; died at Easthampton 26 June 1704
4. Isaac, married Martha -- at Easthampton; had issue
5. Benjamin, married Mary --. Died in 1716 in NJ [see below]
son of Richard Stratton and Elizabeth Edwards, born at Easthampton about
1675; married Mary --. He was at Easthampton in 1715; he removed with
his wife Mary, to Fairfield NJ where he died before Sept. 14, 1716, when
appraisement was made. October 18, 1716, letters of administration were
taken out upon his estate by his widow Mary.
Children of Benjamin & Mary ( ) STRATTON:
1. Abigail Stratton, bapt in 1699
2. Benjamin Stratton, bapt. at Easthampton 19 Sept 1701 (see below)
3. Mary, baptized in 1704
4. William, baptized in 1705
5. Jonathan, baptized in 1708; married Mehitable Reeves in 1730; died
1760 at Easthampton; had issue
6. Isaac, baptized 1711; [Mary, widow of Isaac, administered to his estate
in New Jersey, 5 Jan 1753]
7. David, baptized in 1715 [In 1764, Elizabeth, widow of David, of Stone
Creek, Cumberland Co., administered to his estate].
of Fairfield NJ, son of Benjamin-2 of Long Island, baptized at Easthampton
19 Sep 1701; was married at -- 28 Nov 1723 to Abigail Preston, dau of
Levi Preston of Salem, New England; died in 1751.
Children of Benjamin & Abigail (Preston) Stratton:
1. Levi, baptized at Fairfield NJ 27 Sep 1724
2. Abigail, baptized at Fairfield NJ 25 Feb 1726; died 1759
3. Jonathan, baptized at Fairfield NJ 28 Dec 1728; died 1759
4. Benjamin, baptized at Fairfield NJ 21 March 1730; died 1759 [see below]
5. Freelove, baptized at Fairfield NJ 1733; died 1765
6. Thomazine, baptized at Fairfield NJ 20 June 1735; died 1785
7. Elizabeth, baptized at Fairfield NJ 28 Oct 1737; died 1759
8. Preston, baptized at Fairfield NJ 1 Jan 1740; died 20 Apr 1740
9. Preston, baptized at Fairfield NJ 8 Aug 1741; died 1759
10. Levi, baptized at Fairfield NJ 21 March 1743; died 1792
11. John, baptized at Fairfield NJ 10 Nov 1747; died 1814
baptized at Fairfield, NJ 21 March 1730; died March 26 1759. Married Sarah
Austin of Boston, 9 Oct 1752.
Children of Benjamin & Sarah (Austin) Stratton:
1. Benjamin, baptized 2 Oct 1753
2. Sarah, bap. 2 Oct 1753
3. James, born 20 Aug 1755, baptized 20 Oct. 1755. He later became
a physician of Swedesboro, N.J. and died 29 March 1812 at Swedesboro NJ
Incidents in the life of Samuel Whitney : born in Marlborough, Massachusetts,
1734, died at Castine, Maine, 1808 : together with some account of his
descendants, and other family memorials, by Henry Austin Whitney; Boston:
Printed for private distribution, 1860, 151 pgs.
EPITAPHS AND MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS
In Trinity Church-Yard, Swedesboro'
County of Gloucester, N.J.
TO THE MEMORY OF
Born March 17, 1780
Died Feb 3d, 1823
The Stockton family of New Jersey : and other Stocktons, by Thomas
Coates Stockton; Washington, D.C.: The Carnahan Press, 1911, 424 pgs.
Dorothy-5 STOCKTON (Daniel-4, Daniel-3, John-2, Richard-1), dau
of Daniel and Patience Stockton, m. William BELLANGEE in March 1781. They
lived for a time in Burlington County, NJ then removed to Swedesboro,
NJ. Mrs. Bellangee d. Oct 25, 1811.
Children of William and Dorothy (Stockton) Bellangee:
1. John, b. 3 Dec 1781; m. and had issue
2. Sarah, b. 16 March 1784
3. Mary, b. 10 Dec 1786
4. Isaac, b. 10 Aug 1789
5. William, b. 11 jan 1792
6. Benjamin, b. 18 Aug 1794
7. Samuel, b. 2 Nov 1797
8. Daniel, b. 20 May 1804
Thomas Halsey of Hertfordshire, England, and Southampton, Long Island,
1591-1679 : with his American descendants to the eighth and ninth generations,
by Jacob Lafayette Halsey; Morristown, N.J.: unknown, 1895, 587 pgs.
LUTHER FOSTER, M.D. b. Churchill, PA, 28 Oct 1832. Attended Rutgers
in 1845 but did not graduate. Commenced the study of medicine at Jefferson
Medical College and graduated March 1852. Settled in Swedesboro NJ January
5, 1855 and practiced his profession there until July 1862 when he accepted
a commission in the Army as Asst. Surgeon 7th NJ Vols with which Regiment
he served until December 1862; then in charge of the 120th NY Vols, Gen.
George H. Sharpe's Regiment until March 9, 1863, when promoted to Surgeon
of the 2d NJ Volunteers; remained with that regiment until May 31, 1864
when it went home at the expiration of its term of service. He entered
the Volunteer Corps of Surgeons of the Army and had charge of the 1st
Div 6th Corps Field Hospital until it reached Petersburg, VA, and served
in various other places. In 1865 he came home resuming his practice in
Swedesboro NJ. He was Trustee and Clerk of his school district for 18
years, and also Township Superintendent for a number of years. He married
Catherine Gaskill Murphy, a native of Gloucester Co NJ, b. Dec 29th, 1829,
a noble, good woman, respected and beloved by all who knew her.