East Greenwich currently includes the communities of Clarksboro,
Mickleton, and Mount
Royal, and is located in Gloucester
County, New Jersey.
A section of town, south of Mickleton, was known as Tomlin
Station (named after Mathew and James Tomlin, who purchased
large tracts of land in this vicinity in 1796 and 1809 respectively).
A railroad station was located here at one time.
Another location in southern East Greenwich was called
Wolfert, originally settled in 1869 by Christian Wolfert.
of the old area names within this township include: Clarksboro, Clark's Mills,
Hendricksons Mills, Mantua Creek, Mickleton, Middleton, Mount Royal, Sandtown,
Tomlins, Tomlins Station, Upper Greenwich, Warringtons Mills, Wolfert, Wolfert
Station, Village at the Crossroads.
Greenwich is still a rural town with a road-side view that alternates between
green fields and neatly manicured lawns. Many of the current residents can still
trace their lineage back to the early settlers.
grew between Raccoon and Mantua Creeks, and along the banks of Mantua Creek were
found great quantities of walnut, peach, chestnut, cypress, mulberry and fish
trees, as well as many rare trees, unknown because they could not be found anywhere
other than in this area. The shores of this creek were infested with a horrible
serpent, called a rattlesnake." (W.P.A. "History of the Swedes and
Greenwich Township was created by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February
10, 1881 from the eastern part of Greenwich Township and the western part
of Mantua Township.
bill creating the new township was passed by the House by a vote of 43 to 2. The
bill enacted that "all those parts of the townships of Greenwich and Mantua
contained within the following bounds, to wit: Beginning in the middle of Great
Mantua creek, opposite the westerly line of John A. Loudenslager's farm; thence
following that line a westerly course to the middle of a public road leading from
Berkeley to Gibbstown; thence by a straight line to the westerly edge of the public
road leading from Paulsboro to Swedesboro, at the run near Wm. E. Gaunt's dwelling
house; thence down the westerly edge of the above public road to the middle of
Purgy creek in the line of Logan township; thence by the easterly line of Logan,
Woolwich and Harrison townships to a large cherry stump near Joseph Stewart's
dwelling house, where the Harrison township line intersects the westerly edge
of the Union road; thence from that point bearing about north 44 degrees east
to the middle of Great Mantua creek, aforesaid, said line passing a stone set
in the westerly edge of the creek 63 feet eastwardly from an ancient white oak
stump standing on the western bank thereof, northeast from Charles Shoemaker's
dwelling house; thence down the middle of the creek to the place of beginning,
shall be set-off from the townships of Greenwich and Mantua, and made a separate
townshp, to be known by the name of the township of East Greenwich."
first Town Meeting was held March 8, 1881. The following township officers
were elected at the annual meeting.
Clerk: William H. Brown
Collector: William P. Haines
Assessor: J. Albert
Freeholders: Benjamin Heritage, Joseph L. Reeves
of Highways: David S. Adams, George S. Gaunt
Township Committee: John A. Loudenslager,
David B. Gill, Job S. Haines
Overseers of Highways: Jeffrey C. Batten, David
Overseer of Poor: Isaac C. Warner
Justices of the Peace: Joseph
Judge of Election: Isaac Hughes
Commissioners of Appeals: Amos J.
Peaslee, William G. Haines, David Owens
Pound Keepers: Stacy Shute, Charles
Harbert, Joseph Guest, Silas Richards
Inspectors of Election:John Haines,
William H. Wolf
Constable: Hugh Mulvey
In 1881, the size of the Township was said to be 11.76 square miles, however
the 2001 New Jersey Municipal Data Book states that it is currently 14.75 square
In 1882 town officials included: Town Clerk, Henry L. Haines;
Assessor, J.A. Wolf; Collector, William P. Haines; Chosen Freeholders, Benjamin
Heritage, Joseph L. Reeves; Township Committee, David B. Gill, John Loudenslager,
and Job. S. Haines.
In 1883 town officials included: Town Clerk,
Henry L. Haines; Assessor, J. Albert Wolf; Collector, William P. Haines; Chosen
Freeholders, Benjamin Heritage, Joseph L. Reeves; Township Committee, John A.
Loudenslager, David B. Gill, Walter Heritage; Surveyors of Highways, David S.
Adams, George H. Gaunt; Overseers of Roads, First District, Jeffrey C. Batten;
Second District, William Dawson; Overseer of the Poor, Isaac C. Warner; Commissioners
of Appeal, William G. Haines, David Owen, Charles Shoemaker; Judge of Election,
Isaac N. Hughes; Inspectors of Election, William H. Wolf, John Haines; Pound Keeper,
to the 2000 U.S. Census, the current population of East Greenwich
Township is 5,430. Visit the Official
East Greenwich web site for updated census and statistical
information. Also see "Maps and Statistics"
of East Greenwich.
2006 East Greenwich celebrated its 125th anniversary (or birthday)
as a township. To celebrate this event, I transcribed
of East Greenwich New Jersey,' from "HISTORY
of the Counties of GLOUCESTER, SALEM and CUMBERLAND, New Jersey
with Biographical Sketches of their Prominent Citizens by Thos.
Cushing, M.D. & Charles E. Sheppard, Esq.; Philadelphia; Everts
& Peck, 1883; Press of J.B. Lippincott & Co, Philadelphia
- TXT file [graciously donated by Joyce Stevenson of Mullica