PO BOX 231
Location: 413 Kings Highway (Rt 551), Mickleton NJ
exit 16B, east on Democrat Road to traffic light
Clerk: C. Barry E. Sloane
10:00 AM Sundays
SEE "TOWNSHIP NEWS" for information about
OF THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
The Friends (Quakers) who gather for
silent worship each First Day (Sunday) in the Mickleton Meetinghouse continue
the tradition of Upper Greenwich Preparative Meeting that goes back at
least 248 years in this village.
Circa 1900 photograph
contributed by Maxine Brown of Mickleton NJ
[from a collection of her mother-in-law,
Hannah Brown] - used with permission
December 13, 1756, permission was granted by Haddonfield Monthly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends to "divers Friends who lived near Raccoon Creek"
to hold "an indulged meeting" for worship at Solomon Lippincott's home.
The meeting at that time was known as "Solomon's Meeting." and was located
on Wolfert Station Road.
1759, Friends of Upper Greenwich built a new meetinghouse near Solomon Lippincott's
home. It was a high one-story building of good cedar, and was located near the
current Solomon's Graveyard. Finally on March 26, 1773,
after 17 years of continuous requests, approval of an "established monthly
meeting" was granted to Friends of Upper Greenwich by Haddonfield Monthly
Meeting. In 1785 the meetings of Upper Greenwich and Woodbury were separated from
Haddonfield to form the new Woodbury Monthly Meeting. At the first Woodbury Monthly
Meeting, January 11, 1785, Solomon Lippincott was continued as an elder for Upper
Greenwich. Benjamin Hooten and David Brown were appointed overseers for Upper
Greenwich. About 1797 plans were considered for a new meetinghouse.
present Friends Meeting House was completed in 1799 on a 2-acre plot, donated
by both Samuel Mickle and Samuel Tonkin. The bricks were
burned on the farm of William Batten near Clarksboro.
The building originally had two stoops with hoods covering each of the doors.
It was divided in half with the men meeting in one side and the women in the other.
Horse sheds were built beside the meetinghouse with lumber from the old meeting
Postcard of the
Friends Meeting House at Mickleton, NJ.
Date of photograph unknown.
Graciously donated by Pete Miskofsky
deeds for the two gifts of land were made out to: Samuel Paul, David Brown, George
Brown, William Wood, Joshua Lippincott and William White. Samuel Mickle's donation
of land was part of 160 acres he had bought in 1769 from Samuel Philip Paul. Samuel
Tonkin's share was part of 100 acres he had bought in 1796 from Bodo Otto's heirs.
1919 a two-story annex containing an assembly room and kitchen space was added
at the back of the meetinghouse.
House in Mickleton
both photographs taken in 2003 by J. Brown
the years, the horse sheds and the partition between the men's
and women's meetings have been removed, and the two stoops have
been replaced by a covered porch.
This building is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places as the Upper Greenwich Friends
Information and a photograph of this building is located on
the Gloucester County NJ web site
Meeting House in Mickleton NJ taken in 2006 by J. Brown
Click on the photograph to see a larger version.
This photograph is copyrighted. Please do NOT use without my express
written permission (to obtain contact the webmaster at the link