Resources | Listing of some Cemeteries in Gloucester County
Ancient Burial Places in Gloucester County, New Jersey
Co USGenWeb Archives - you may be amazed at what you find here
and also White's
Cemetery Listing for Gloucester Co NJ
2. Many of the older records of the following cemeteries have been microfilmed
by the Mormons, and are available through your local LDS
Family History Center.
3. The Gloucester
County Historical Society - see their listing of available cemetery inscriptions
(some of which are available online)
Cemetary Transcription Library - also shows locations
5. For Jewish cemeteries, check with the AJGS
6. Consider Famous
politicians buried in New Jersey web site
Cemetery Contacts in New Jersey
New Jersey Cemetery Board has records of cemeteries of which they
have taken control. All other inquiries should be directed to the actual
Some (not all)
Listings, Contacts, and Tombstone Inscriptions for Gloucester County cemeteries:
Aura Methodist Church
481 Delsea Drive
Hurffville, NJ 08080
First Presbyterian Church Brotherhood Cemetery,
Walnut Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094
Burial Ground, Deptford NJ
Located on E. Academy St.
Clayton, New Jersey 08312
Burial Ground, Deptford (new)
Deptford Strangers Burial Ground (new)
320 Kings Hwy
Clarksboro, NJ 08020-1404
link for Eglington Cemetery
Includes listings of some of the oldest gravestone inscriptions
there; has information on how to contact the cemetery who have index
cards on all burials.
United Methodist Cemetery
United Methodist (Old Methodist) Cemetery
Glassboro, New Jersey
Delsea Drive (Rte. 47) & McClelland Ave.
Finley United Methodist Cemetery
State Cemetery Company
Clarksboro, NJ 08020-1404
Of Heaven Cemetery
aka Martin Luther King Memorial Gardens
Mt. Royal, NJ 08020
950 Cooper St.
Deptford, NJ 08096-2573
Sewell, NJ 08080-1810
Park Avenue (at the end of the street)
Swedesboro, NJ 08085
Of Canaan Cemetery
C/O Robert Bright
1 Sewell St.
Glassboro, NJ 08028
(on grounds of Shady Lane Nursing Home, Clarksboro NJ). Restore
Lippincott and a few generations of his direct descendants buried
Delsea Dr (across street from 303 Delsea Drive)
P.O. Box 39
Malaga, NJ 08328
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Monthly Meeting Graveyard
Early Quaker families living in the Mickleton (East Greenwich) area
are buried here. Records of burials are held by Mickleton Monthly
C/O Gladys M. Nicholson
40 Spruce St.
Sewell, NJ 08080
Hill Baptist Cemetery
Mullica Hill, NJ
Linwood Ave and Main St just off of Delsea Drive, near Malaga NJ
C/O Charles Curry
1050 Church St.
Deptford, NJ 08096
Franklinville, New Jersey
Hollow United Methodist Church Cemetery
C/O L. A. Jaggers
Dutch Mill Rd.
Newfield, NJ 08344
Zion United Methodist Church Cemetery
Franklin Township, New Jersey
Methodist Church Cemetery
Route 322, Box 27
Richwood, NJ 08074
[Glassboro NJ area]
Newfield, New Jersey
St Glassboro, NJ 08028
John Methodist Cemetery
3 Main Street
Harrisonville, NJ 08039-0002
Peter's Colonial Cemetery
Mt. Royal, New Jersey
The earliest burial was in 1810, and the last burial here was in
1950. Includes a list of tombstone inscriptions, and a separate
list of known veterans buried here.
Paul's Methodist Church Cemetery; Paulsboro NJ (new)
Stephens Burial Ground, Mullica Hill (Harrison Township)
For burials of some residents of the old Alms House, and Shady Lane
photographs of this cemetery
Early Quaker families living in the Mickleton (East Greenwich) area
are buried here. Records of burials are held by Mickleton Monthly
Joseph Cemetery, Swedesboro NJ
St. Joseph Church, which was built in the 1860's is closed. New
St. Mary's Church (Bryn Mawr PA) has the records for this cemetery.
You may call them at
856-931-1570 (updated April 2006)
Stephen's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Mullica
Hill (Harrison Twp) - small cemetery, Main Street. St.
Family Cemetery in Deptford NJ
Burial Ground - Deptford NJ
Centre Square, Logan Twp., New Jersey
101 N. Marion Ave.
Wenonah, NJ 08090-2042
Clarksboro, NJ 08020
Note: the actual cemetery is NOT in Clarksboro NJ, it is in West
Deptford NJ (on Kings Highway)
United Methodist Cemetery
photographs of the church and cemetery
BURIAL PLACES IN GLOUCESTER COUNTY
Source: Notes on old Gloucester County,
New Jersey : historical records published by the New Jersey Society of Pennsylvania;
New Jersey: 1917.
The oldest of the burial places established by the early colonists
of Gloucester County is that at Swedesboro,
now known as Trinity Church Burying-Ground. Swedesboro was first settled
by the Swedes, probably as early as 1638, and although the written records
of the church do not begin until 1702, it is quite likely that the present
site of the church and the adjoining burying-ground is one originally
selected for the purpose.
It is situated on a bluff at the intersection of
the Raccoon creek and the King's Highway, and is enclosed by a well-kept stone
wall. With the beautiful colonial church, built in 1784, in the background, the
effect as one approaches the town is quaint and picturesque, reminding the traveler
of an English village.
In this yard lie buried
hundreds of the pioneers of Swedesboro. Although the yard is quite large, it was
evidently soon filled with graves, for in the early part of the last century another
burial ground was established about two squares to the west, which is enclosed
with a stone wall, and both wall and grounds are kept in excellent condition by
There was another Swedish settlement at Repaupo, which possibly
antedated that at Swedesboro by a short time; but the site of Repaupo is not known,
although the name survives in a locality near the river which is today known as
oldest burial place in the county is probably the Wood burying-ground,
on the south side of Woodbury creek, near its mouth. Richard Wood is said to have
settled at this place in 1681. Other members of his family followed and within
a few years the huts of settlers were scattered here and there throughout that
section of the country. A graveyard was laid out and was probably used by the
entire community until the establishment of the Friends meeting in Woodbury, about
two miles away, in 1715. It has been used by descendants of the Wood family within
the memory of persons now living. The earlier graves were marked by rude field
stones, most of which have disappeared. There is one, however, which bears the
initials R.W. and this may be that of the founder of the colony. Other stones
bear the names of Wilkins, Hillman, Peter Crimm, and of course, Wood.
is said that between 1840 and 1845 there was a freshet which washed away a portion
of the graveyard, dislodging a number of bodies and carrying them away. Although
the Gloucester County Historical Society has erected a memorial stone with an
appropriate inscription, the cemetery is in danger of disappearing. Boathouses
occupy the banks of the creek, and the cemetery is almost a public thorofare.
The ground is gradually filling in and some of the stones are covered half-way
up. It is quite possible that within a few years all traces of it will have been
Friends erected a meeting house in Woodbury in 1715 and the adjoining burial-ground
was probably established at the same time. It contains the grave of Ann
Whitall, the heroine of the battle of Red Bank.
It is said that a part of the ground has been filled in three times and each time
used again for burial purposes. The meeting house and cemetery occupy the most
commanding spot in Woodbury and form one of the attractive features of the beautiful
and historic town.
The Presbyterian burying-ground
in North Woodbury dates back to 1721, at which time the ground was obtained, the
church built and the graveyard established. The first church was of logs and was
replaced by another building when the congregation grew larger. The church building
was ordered to be sold in 1803 and in 1833 the congregation built a commodious
building about a mile south, on the site occupied by the present church building.
The old yard continued to be used for burial purposes for many years, but now
only an occasional interment is there made. The yard is in a deplorable condition
and no attempt is made to keep it up. Mrs. Ann Hunter, the wife of Rev. Andrew
Hunter, is buried there. She had so endeared herself to the people that they all
sought to do her honor at her funeral. Samuel Mickle, however, in his diary, which
is reproduced in this volumne, deplored the pomp and ceremony with which she was
The stones remaining in the yard represent the Roe, Cozens, Clark,
Moffett and other prominent local families.
Mickle, in his diary, under date of Nov. 10, 1802, records that he laid off a
family burial-ground on part of Benjamin Hopper's land. The writer has been unable
to locate this. [There was a Hopper burial-ground adjoining Friends ground].
of the settlers had their own private burial-grounds on their plantations. The
roads were poor, transportation was difficult, and they preferred having their
dead in a place convenient of access rather than in the church cemeteries, which
were difficult to reach and not particularly well-kept. Many of these private
burying-grounds are still in existence and some are even used to this day; but
others have been entirely lost track of.
most attractive of these private burying-grounds in Gloucester County is the Reeves
burying-ground, located on the old Reeves plantation about a mile south of
Woodbury, between the West Jersey and Seashore Railroad and Mantua Pike. The farm
is now owned by Clement R. Budd.
was established by Joseph Reeves, who was born in 1700 and died in 1780. The stone
marking his grave is in excellent condition. The plot is enclosed by a stone wall
with two pairs of heavy iron gates, and is surrounded by a number of noble trees.
It is a very attractive spot, and the manner in which it is cared for reflects
credit upon the descendants of its founder, some of whom are members of the New
Jersey Society of Pennsylvania. It is still used for burying purposes, the most
recent interment being that of the wife of Rev. Herbert Burk. Her grave is marked
by an Irish cross, which is one of the most beautiful mortuary emblems in the
county. The stones in the yard represent the Reeves, Moffett, Snow, Saunders and
other allied families.
down the Mantua road is the old Chew Cemetery, located on Mantua Creek,
about a quarter of a mile west of the road. The cemetery contains stones representing
four generations of the Chew family, including the first settler, Nathaniel Chew,
and his wife Mary; his son Jeffrey, who became one of the largest land owners
in that locality, and his wife Ann; David Chew, the son of Jeffrey, and his wife
Hannah; and Stille Chew, son of David, and his wife Rebecca M. David Eldridge,
who died June 18, 1823, aged 89, is buried here; also his first wife, Sarah Chew,
and his second wife, Rebecca Moffett. David Eldridge was one of the best-known
men in Gloucester County, and was the ancestor of several members of the New Jersey
Society of Pennsylvania.
There are also numerous
graves marked only by rude stones and there is a tradition that a number of victims
of an epidemic of cholera are there interred. One of the descendants of the Chew
family recently erected a very substantial enclosure for the cemetery, consisting
of granite posts with iron rails between.
the east side of the Mantua road, just before it crosses Mantua creek, lies the
plantation formerly owned by Samuel Maffet and his wife Rachel. Samuel Maffet,
in 1763, sold his farm to Jeffrey Chew, but reserved "A privilege on 20 feet
square of land to the said Samuel Maffet, to inter and bury his friends at the
place where his two sons are now buried, adjoining on the line between the tract
herein mentioned and other land of the said Jeffrey Chew." This item in the
deed throws some light upon the customs of the early settlers, for it will be
observed that Samuel Maffet hospitably allowed his friends to find a last resting
place upon his land.
This plantation descended to Samuel Chew, grandson of
Jeffrey Chew, and is now owned by a Mr. Redrow. The graveyard has long since disappeared,
and no one todays knows even of its approximate site.
the road from Mantua to Sewell, near the bridge over the tracks of the West Jersey
R.R., lies another Chew cemetery. This cemetery contains the remains of Jesse
Chew, minister of the Gospel, who died in 1812, aged 74 years. There is also a
stone for his wife Mary, and for several of their descendants, representing the
Eastlack, Carpenter and Earley families.
Driver cemetery is located in the village of Barnsboro. It was established by
Samuel Driver, one of the earliest settlers in that locality, who was a member
of the Woodbury Friends' Meeting. It was enclosed by a stone wall, part of which
has lately fallen down, and contains a number of gravestones of the Driver family.
the old road which winds through the country from Barnsboro to Mickleton, a road
which is to-day but little used, lies what is left of the Jessup cemetery, on
the brow of a hill near the old Jessup homestead, about a mile from Barnsboro.
The farm is now owned by Harry Lafferty. This yard was formerly surrounded by
a good stone wall, but about two generations ago this wall was dismantled by the
owner and the larger part of the yard is now under cultivation. There are but
three stones remaining: John West, son of Richard and Rachel West, died August
14, 1798, aged 63; Sarah West, died August 13, 1826, aged 70 years; and Mary Jones,
died May 25, 1789, aged 21.
one-half mile south of the Jessup graveyard on the other side of the road is the
old West burying-ground, on the farm now occupied by a Mr. Sharp. This ground
is on the brow of a hill forming part of a meadow and is without enclosure of
any kind. The stones now standing are those of Job West, died March 4, 1800, age
30 years; Isaiah West, died June 21, 1811, aged 39; Sarah, wife of Michael Hess,
died October 8, 1774, age 28. The cows ramble freely over the place and it is
quite probably that in a few years these stones will be broken and will disappear.
the road that leads from Pitman to Jefferson, about one mile east of Jefferson,
is the Tomlin cemetery. The farm on which it is located is owned by William Duffield.
This cemetery is enclosed with a brick wall, which was originally very good, but
is now beginning to fall apart. The plot is overgrown with briers, underbrush
and young trees, and is almost impenetrable except in winter.
North Woodbury, on the opposite side of the old Kings Highway from the Presbyterian
cemetery and about two squares north of it, lies what is left of the old Ward
burying-ground. There are but two stones remaining in this ground: Benjamin Ward,
born February 8, 1733, died February 22, 1795; Hannah Ward, died October 30, 1802,
aged 35 years and 4 months. This land is restricted for use only as a cemetery
and since the present owners do not care to spend any money upon it, it is used
as a dumping ground and a playground, and it is really remarkable that the two
stones that remain standing are in such good condition. A toll gate at one time
stood upon the front part of the cemetery lot.
old Methodist Cemetery in Woodbury now forms a part of the Green Cemetery and
is located on the old Egg Harbor road just east of Evergreen Avenue.
a half mile father out the road on the same side is a farm now owned by Doctor
Ralph J. Iszard, formerly the Nathan Ward place. There is an old graveyard on
the lane leading to the house, but only a few unlettered field stones remain,
two of which are imbedded in the roots of a tree. The ground is about 50 feet
square, and, while not enclosed, it is held sacred and is not used for any other
purpose. The dwelling house on the farm is a well-built brick structure, bearing
on the gable the inscription, "N.A.W. 1791."
the road from Woodbury to Almonesson, at the point where it crosses the stone
road which leads from Westville to Glassboro, lies a farm now owned by Dr. Brewer
of Woodbury. In the center of a field bounded by these two roads lies an old cemetery,
the original owner of which is not known. It contains a number of stones representing
the Perce or Pierce family, and is spoken of as a Pierce burying-ground. Some
veterans of the Civil War are buried there, and their graves are remembered each
memorial days by their comrades of the G.A.R.
was a cemetery adjoining Christ Episcopal Church, in Woodbury, until a few years
ago, when the bodies were removed. The ground is now partly occupied by the parish
Strangers Burying-Ground, which was for more than a century one of the
landmarks of Woodbury, occupied about an acre of ground on the south side of Cooper
Street went of Broad. In this cemetery many of the Hessians killed at Red Bank
were buried. Buttons of uniforms and bayonets were found when the cemetery was
vacated. It was condemned about two years ago, and a new street known as Lupton
Avenue marks the site. The bodies and remaining stones were removed to the Paupers'
Burying-Ground, which is located on the old road, now little used, leading from
a point near Almonesson to North Woodbury.
along this road and about a quarter of a mile nearer Woodbury is the Cattell
cemetery, founded by the ancestors of the numerous families of that name.
It was used to some extend by members of the Cattell family until quite recently.
Jonas Cattell, famous as the guide of the Gloucester Fox Hunting Club, is said
to be buried there.
in the region of sand and pine trees between Almonesson and a point on the stone
road known as New Sharon, lies the old Walton place. The old cemetery on this
place is located on a hill about 30 feet high which slopes down to a small stream.
The hill is covered with noble oak trees and the spot is peaceful and quiet. But
a few field stones remain to mark the graves, two of which are rudly lettered,
one "J.W." and the other, "M.W." The farm was lately occupied
by Azariah Eastlack, who left it to the Presbyterian Church at Blackwood. It is
now owned by J.B. Vanneman.
the road leading from Bethel to Clement's Bridge, just north of its intersection
with the road which leads from Almonesson to Blackwood, is the Perce cemetery.
This cemetery is enclosed with a very substantial stone wall and is used to this
day by the descendants of the family. The inscriptions on the stones represent
the Perce, Montgomery, Best and Brewer families.
a mile to the north of the Perce cemetery, on the same side of the road, is the
Jaggard cemetery, now used as a burying-ground by residents of Almonesson. The
ground is well kept.
Crown Point road leading from Westville to Gibbstown, passing through Thorofare
and Paulsboro, was originally one of the main roads of the county and the farms
through which it runs were occupied by well-to-to planters. Quite a number of
private burying-grounds are located on farms along this road.
a paper read before the Gloucester County Historical Society, in 1906, Mr. Ezekiel
L. Cloud states that there was a burying-ground on the northeast corner of Delaware
Street and Crown Point Road, known as the Pierce graveyard. The stones have been
used for paving and doorsteps and the ground has been ploughed over, so that all
traces of it have disappeared.
STEPHENS cemetery is located about a mile north of Paulsboro on the farm
of Richard B. Davis. Through the briers and sumac the names of Stephens, Ward
and Shuster may be seen on some of the tombstones. The yard is still used for
burial purposes, three burials having been made there within recent years. This
farm was probably part of the plantation owned and occupied by the famous Tench
Point on the Delaware River, on a site now occupied by the I.P. Thomas & Sons
Co., phosphate works, was the Paul burial-ground. The bodies in this cemetery
were removed in about 1880 to the Methodist Episcopal Cemetery in Paulsboro, and
the ground is now used for commercial purposes.
Lodge cemetery stood on the Lodge farm on the banks of the Delaware River, near
the village of Billingsport. This farm now forms part of the plant of the Vacuum
Oil Company, and in 1917 the bodies and tombstones were removed to Eglington
Cemetery, in Clarksboro, N.J.
is an interesting bit of tradition connected with the Methodist
Episcopal Cemetery in the town of Paulsboro. The ground was owned by Samuel
P. Paul and was at the time of his death, in 1831, covered with a beautiful growth
of rye. Mr. Paul on his death-bed requested that he be buried in his ryefield
and his wishes were carried out. Later his heirs presented the ground to the Church
for use as a cemetery.
the southern end of Paulsboro, at the junction of the Main Street with the road
leading to Swedesboro, stands a farm formerly owned by Joseph L. Locke, prior
to whose ownership known as the John Fleming farm. There was quite an extensive
graveyard on this farm, which was located along the Swedesboro road near the present
land. No one seems to know the history of the yard. It has been farmed over for
many years and in former years it was quite a common occurrence for a plow to
turn up a skull or some other part of a human skeleton. The ground in that particular
part of the farm is now being used for building sand, and all traces of the former
cemetery have entirely disappeared.
a mile father down, on the opposite side of the road, is a farm now occupied by
Joseph Clement and formerly owned by his grandfather, Mark Clement. On the north
side of the entrance of the lane leading to the house is an old burying-ground,
known as the Mickle burying-ground. It is a small plot, covered with a thick growth
of young trees, but there is nothing to indicate that it is a burying-ground,
except three uncult and unlettered field stones, which may be found by searching
through the leaves and underbrush.
Catnac or Catnack cemetery was located on a farm formerly owned by E.G. Green,
now owned by the DuPonts and occupied by Turner Ashton. It was enclosed by a substantial
wall and contained several stones. The wall was torn down years ago, and, with
the gravestones, was used as foundations for some farm buildings. The ground is
now under farm cultivation and only the approximate site of the graveyard is known.
the village of Gibbstown there once stood an old Methodist meeting house, built
of stone, with a graveyard adjoining. When the building was abandoned as a church
it was converted into a barn, which was torn down when the land, which was known
as the Mullen farm, was acquired by the DuPont interests.
cemetery is just outside the entrance gate to the DuPont plant, but the stones
have been entirely destroyed by vandals and have disappeared. Rev. Jesse Mullen,
a local preacher, who was born about 1803 and died about 1855, at one time owned
the farm and frequently preached in the church.
down the road, about a mile before reaching Bridgeport, is the old Cooper family
burying-ground. It is enclosed by a wall, but is so full of young saplings and
briars as to be almost impenetrable. Some of the bodies have been removed to other
cemeteries and no one appears to have any interest in those which remain.
of the most interesting spots in the county is the ancient
Moravian Church with its adjoining burying ground, on the road from Swedesboro
to Sharptown, near Oldman's Creek. The history of this church is given elsewhere
in this book. The gravestones bear the names of Pierson, Vanneman, Gill, Shute,
and other early settlers, whose descendants are among the leading citizens of
the present generation.
GRAVEYARD is located about 100 yards from Wolfert's station, on the Woodbury-Salem
railroad, and marks the original site of the first meeting house of the Upper
Greenwich Preparative Meeting of Friends. The lot was granted by Solomon Lippincott
in 1740, and a frame meeting house was built, which served its purpose until the
society built a new meeting house in Mickleton
in 1798. The graveyard continued to be used as such by Friends long after the
meeting was removed, and it is still known as Solomon's thus preserving the memory
of its donor. It is enclosed by a substantial stone wall. The original meeting
house no longer exists.
were two early Methodist churches near Swedesboro which are of considerable interest.
Oak Grove and Ebenezer. Oak Grove is about
one and one-half miles from Swedesboro, on the road to Bridgeport. The church
is still standing and is familiarly known as the "old stone church."
The adjoining graveyard is enclosed by a stone wall, and contains a number of
graves with a few headstones remaining.
churchyard is a half mile north of the stone road leading from Swedesboro to Auburn,
on the last cross-road before reaching Oldman's creek. The church, which was a
frame structure, is no longer there, but the cemetery is enclosed by a brick wall
which is falling into decay. The names appearing on the stones are Jackson, Kimble,
Guest, Hurff and Titus.
old Cozen's burying-ground lies on a farm located on a road leading from Eastlack's
corner near Mantua, past Jessup's mill to a point in the road leading from Clarksboro
to Jefferson. The cemetery is located on the top of a cone shaped hill which seems
very much like an Indian mound. It slopes down on one side to a branch of the
Mantua creek and is covered with trees, some of which are quite large. The stones
now standing are those of Elijah Cozens and his wife Ann, and their daughter Sarah
Elijah Cozens was a deputy surveyor
and a scrivener and part owner of a mill near his home. He did much of the conveyancing
for that part of the county and his name frequently appears in the public records.
is an interesting burying-ground at the northern end of the town of Glassboro.
Glassboro was first settled in 1775, at which time the Stanger brothers established
there the pioneer glass-works of the county. The Stangers and most of their employees
were Germans, and doubtless the first business which occupied their attention
was the building of a house of worship. The cemetery is said to be the site of
the first rude church building, and the original settlers were probably all buried
within its shadow. The gravestones of several of the Stanger brothers are still
in good condition, as is also that of their mother, Catherine Stanger, who, according
to the inscription, died in 1800, aged 85.
graveyard is in a neglected condition, although the stones have not suffered as
much violence at the hands of vandals as is the case in most old cemeteries. The
remaining tombstones contain the following family names: Stanger, Bodine, Shaffer,
Swope, Focer and Thorne.
CEMETERY, in Clarksboro, has grown up around the old private burying-ground
set apart by John Englington, in 1776, in his last will and testament. The original
plot is still kept in its original condition and contains the gravestone of Jeffrey
Clark and other pioneers of Clarksboro.
Lippincott Cemetery is located in the grounds of the country farm and
almshouse, which was formerly owned by Restore Lippincott, who purchased it from
William Gerard, one of the largest landowners among the early settlers.
is an abandoned cemetery about two miles south of Swedesboro, located on the right
side of the road to Centre Square, about a half-mile west from the Swedesboro-Auburn
road. The cemetery is on the boundary line between the farms now owned by Charles
G. Batten and Charles Hampton. The part which is on the Batten farm has been plowed
up to a large extent, and broken pieces of tombstones may be seen here and there.
The only inscription which can now be deciphered, is as follows: Betsy Roberts
// Died April 30, 1841 // In the 69th Year of Her Age.
stone was standing in good condition until a very short time ago, but it now lies
on the ground, broken in several pieces.
part of the cemetery which lies on the farm of Charles Hampton is covered with
a heavy growth of young trees, underbrush and poison ivy, and is not safe to visit,
except in winter. Members of the Dunn and Avis families are said to be buried
here, but, if there ever were gravestones there, none remain at this time.
of the oldest Methodist Church organizations in the county is the Bethel Methodist
Episcopal Church, located in the village formerly called Bethel, but now known
as Hurffville. It dates back to 1770. The church building now standing ther eis
the third one to be erected and used by the congregation. The adjoining cemetery
is quite extensive, and contains the graves of hundreds of the pioneers of that
part of the county. The principal family names represented on the tombstones in
the old section of the cemetery are as follows: Chew, Dilks, Heritage, Bee, Swope,
Turner, Brown, Beckett, Hurff, Watson, Clark, Firth, Carpenter, Prosser, Eastlack,
Porch and many others. It is said to be the site of an old Indian burying-ground.
Union Graveyard and United Association in Mantua, was founded February 13, 1804.
The ground for the cemetery was given by Martin Turner and deeded to Richard Moffett,
Moses Crane, Thomas Carpenter, Edward Carpenter, and Captain Robert Sparks and
their successors. Mary W. Pancoast by will bequeathed $1,000 toward the building
of the wall. The yard is scarcely more than a quarter-acre in extent, and soon
became completely filled. No burials have been made there of late years. The principal
family names to be found upon the tombstones are Turner, Chew, Clark, Eldridge
interesting old burying-ground is the one on the outskirts of Blackwood known
as the Walling or the Powell burying-ground. It was included in the original limits
of Gloucester County, but is now just over the line in Camden County. It is supposed
by some historians to mark the site of the lost town of Upton, which appears frequnetly
upon the early records of the county. It is picturesquely located on a high piece
of land which slopes precipitously down to Timber Creek, and gives every appearance
of having been a village or church cemetery.
are many interesting old burying-places within the present limits of Camden County,
which was formerly a part of Gloucester County. The oldest and most important
of these is the Newton Burying-Ground, which was established by members of the
Society of Friends, who settled on the banks of Newton Creek in 1681. Their meetings
were at first held in the homes of various members, but as soon as they found
it possible, they built for themselves a meeting-house and set aside space for
a cemetery adjoining.
Thomas Sharp, who proved
to be the historian of the Society, in his account of their early settlements,
says: "In 1684, the Friends in the vicinity of Newton, desirous of erected
a house of worship, selected a lot of land on the bank of the middle branch of
Newton Creek, containing about two acres, it being on the bounds of land of Mark
Newby and Thomas Thackara, which was laid out for a burial-ground and at the went
end a log meeting house was erected." They chose the banks of the creek for
the reason that their plantations were located on the various branches of the
creek, and their only means of communication was by water.
is very convenient of access, being not more than one hundred yards from the West
Collingswood Station on the Reading Railroad. The original Newton Burying-ground,
together with an additional plot of one acre which was given for the purpose in
1791 by James Sloan, is enclosed with a substantial stone wall, and is the most
impressive relic of the first settlement of that part of New Jersey.